What I love about dreams is that we get a window into a world where we are potentially forced to look at things as if we are seeing them for the first time. We appreciate the colours of the sky, the beauty of nature. We act in ways we normally wouldn’t – we express ourselves! Even better, we seem to be able to be more in tune with our natural behaviour and the cycles of nature – more on that in a minute.
So just how can we live on earth like we do in our dreams? It’s simple really; get in touch with the primal human that you are, and reconnect to nature to revive your soul.
Not all of us lose touch with simple things making us happy, which is what keeps the world beautiful. This is why being around children is a great reminder to not to take our own maturity too seriously. Here are some simple ideas to get back to that childlike but engaged state of living; you can still be amazed by what life is showing you!
Get in touch with nature to heal yourself and any problems you encounter
I’m not saying that you have to go frolic in a field, but just take notice of how you can use the elements to help you be in the best state to tackle your life problems.
• Feel light headed or ungrounded? – Eat something healthy and reconnect with the physical space you’re in.
• Feeling like there is too much overwhelming emotion? – Take a long shower or salt bath to cleanse away the heaviness.
• Feeling bogged and physically tired? – REST, meditate, sleep, close your eyes, and take a deep breath.
• Uninspired? Go for a walk amongst some trees, the beach, wherever you can get to appreciate natural colours and light.
One of my favourite ways to reconnect is by writing down any thoughts I keep going over and over on paper. Putting my dreams into picture form. Writing lists down for me to tick off as I go. Letting my troubles pour out my hand onto paper.
But the fun doesn’t have to stop here. What to do once we have our thoughts, images, troubles on paper?
• If it’s a list to work on completing, or images of what you desire or need to work towards – pin it up! Remind yourself what you want to get done or start creating!
• If it’s something you have written to get someone, something, the past out of your system – BURN IT. Taking the past and putting on paper, telling it goodbye by burning it, will show you that you’re trying, and are willing to let it all go. If you do want the inner demons to come out to play, it’s a safe way of allowing them out without causing too much mischief!
Some may think these approaches sound childlike or witch like, they aren’t. Not in the slightest. It is part of our psychology, our primary human instinct, and connected to cycles of life and nature. How?
Think about it, we would commune around a fire. We would sing, dance, express! How often do we actually RELEASE what is being held up inside of us? No wonder we all feel a little crazy at times!
Again, how often do we take time to sit by a fire at night and lose ourselves in its changing light? Do we ever really wait for the colours of the run rise to blow us away? Unlike the days where we lived in the caves or huts, we are now overwhelmed by colour and choice, that we don’t appreciate a gorgeous sky or natural setting when we do see it. When do we take that time to pause and get immersed? Sometimes when we dream and sleep, but not nearly enough in life.
Expressing ourselves is natural. Appreciating the simplicity of nature is something we need to do more! So if you haven’t got time to dance round the fire, watch the sunrise, bathe in a lake, eat fruit fresh from the trees, and do all those wonderful natural things…
Do what little you can with what you have. You’ll be amazed that by appreciating the simple things, you will live life like it’s the dream you wake up smiling from… Because you can begin living it.
© Lauren Neko 2012